Main identification features
- extremely elongate
- dorsal and anal finsat rear, joined to c
- ll: ends above anus
- eye small
- small pectoral
Spaghetti eels have extremely elongate bodies; dorsal and anal fins present as low folds at the rear of the tail and confluent with the tail fin, gill openings low on the sides; a lateral line that ends near the anus; small pectoral fins; and small eyes that are covered with skin. These eels burrow headfirst in soft sediments.
The family, with 2 genera and 6 species, occurs in tropical parts of the Indo-Pacific and west Atlantic. A single (endemic) species is known from the eastern Pacific.
- B÷hlke, E. B., 1989., Fishes of the Western North Atlantic., Sears Foundation for Marine Research1:655pp.
- Gilbert, C.H., 1890., A preliminary report on the fishes collected by the steamer "Albatross" on the Pacific coast of North America during the year 1889, with descriptions of twelve new genera and ninety-two new species., Proc. U.S. Nat. Mus., 13:49-126.
- Jordan , D.S. and Evermann, B.W., 1896., The fishes of North and Middle America: a descriptive catalogue of the species of fish-like vertebrates found in the waters of North America, north of the Isthmus of Panama. Part I., Bull. U.S. Nat. Mus., 47:1-1240.
- Lopez , M. I. and Bussing, W. A., 1982., Lista provisional de los peces marinos de la Costa Rica., Revista de Biologia Tropical, 30(1):5-26.
- Meek , S.E. and Hildebrand, S.F., 1923., The marine fishes of Panama. Part I., Field Mus. Nat. Hist., Zool. Ser. Publ., XV:1-330.
- Nelson, J.S., 1984., Fishes of the World (Third edition)., John Wiley and Sons:523pp.
I thank Ashley MacDonald and John Pickering, University of Georgia, for technical support in building this page.
Top | See original
Following modified from Fishbase
|http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/FamilySummary.cfm?Id=51 ---> https://www.fishbase.in/Summary/FamilySummary.cfm?Id=51|
https://www.fishbase.in/Summary/FamilySummary.cfm?Id=51 ---> https://www.fishbase.in/Summary/FamilySummary.php?Id=51
Updated: 2019-02-22 04:46:53 gmt